Thursday, July 16, 2009

Featured Artist: Michele Lee

"Balance" by Michele Lee, copyright

"Kayla" by Michele Lee, copyright

"Her Spot" " by Michele Lee, copyright

Artist Bio

My name is Michele Lee. I am a visual artist living in Madison, Alabama. I have been painting since 2003 and am blessed every day to be given the chance to do what I love. My story is not unlike most artists. I started drawing at a young age then put it down for a while. I will try not to bore you with the technical details. Instead, I would like to share with you what happened to me in 2003 that completely changed my life.

Early one Sunday morning I awoke with one of the worst feelings. I knew that my life was in a downward spiral with drinking, lying, cheating, steeling and generally living in constant darkness. I got up early and thought to myself, I am not going to be able to do this life again today. Please God let me either die or…well, just die. As I went to reach for my bottle I felt a sense of presence that made me want to not drink but go to church. Now, I had not gone to church in quite some time, so I really was not into doing that. But I did. I sat there that morning listening and praying for God to remove, what I thought of as a backpack full of guilt and fear, from me. I cried out to be lifted and carried away. In that instance I heard a voice calm and clear, I thought I must be losing my mind. The voice spoke to my entire soul and said, “I know you have had a hard time sweetie. I am SO very proud of you. You have tried this your way for a long time and now it is time to go with me. So let’s get up and do this together.” I cried, and I still do today even typing this. I got up and walked out of that church. I don’t remember a whole lot of the next few days, but I do remember going to treatment and feeling as if it was not me doing it. Almost like watching someone else go through the motions. I met my husband shortly after and was given a sketch book. I had expressed to him how I used to love to draw when I was a little girl. In the front he wrote, “Have a wonderful weekend. This is for you to find that little girl again.” I do believe God gave that to me through my husband. Since that day I have not stopped drawing and painting. God has held my hand like a strong and loving father through treatment, divorce, loss of a family member, re-marriage, starting my own business, discovering me and art. I can’t tell you the process of how I paint. I just know that it is a spiritual experience. For me it is a time of meditation with my Dad, my God. Through my art we have, together, worked through many issues and had many long talks. He has shown me a way to give back to others and to live a life free from drinking and fear. I believe that God gets to experience many things through his human children and through me I believe it is one form of art. I am not Van Go and really never wish to be. I just want to enjoy the gift he has given to me and to share him with others. You know there are many ways to say what he has done for me through the canvases…but I think there is one word that simply describes it….and that is LOVE.

I was asked what my favorite bible verse is, and I think it is the one that I wear on a bracelet around my wrist every day:
1 Corinthians 13:13 These three remain Faith, Hope and Love, but the greatest is Love.

The three paintings that I have selected are special to me. They are:

“Balance” It is a painting that I did about a year ago and it reminds me to simply stay balanced on the golden path.

“Kayla” Was the first piece I did for someone that changed my life. She asked me to paint her daughter that was no longer here. I was hoping to give her a piece of art that would help her to see Kayla as she is now. I did that, but got so much more in return. I got to really know a special girl who has taught me that every second of everyday is precious.

“Her Spot” It is a painting of my spot. What I love to have around me. And who I am.

For more information about Michele Lee please visit her art journal blog at: www.MicheleLeeArt.blogspot.com and her art business website at: www.ArtisticFinishesStudio.com

4 comments:

  1. wonderful story Michele. I know your "Dad" is proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to live in hearts we love... you are a part of my heart and a blessing to me! So very proud of the "little girl" I have always known, loved and been blessed by.

    Your cuz
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, as I read your bio, I could see myself and what God has done for me.

    Isn't He just wonderful!

    I love your paintings and will go to your site and view more of them. You have truly been given a talent of expressing yout "Love"

    Betty Burchfield

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele, Father God loves you very much and has shown you that He will never leave you or forsake you. He also sent his Son, Jesus Christ, to make the 'payment' for all your sins that were going to keep you from entering into his presence in Heaven. When you open the door and ask Jesus into your heart your 'salvation from sin' is paid for in full. When you do that and, following Jesus, are baptized by submersion in water you are 'resurrected' into the Kingdom of God. Jesus then gives you the Holy Spirit to guide you and help you through your life. You are blessed. I am very happy to know that you are using the 'gift' of art. This is a blessing for everyone who sees it. Your testimony is also a blessing for those, like me, who read it. May all your days be filled with love, knowledge and wisdom, coourage to overcome the evil one and the joy of the Lord.
    Another 'real' Christian,
    Redfeather Shirley

    ReplyDelete