Monday, August 1, 2011

Featured Artist: Lisa Fulton

"Space Shuttle" by Lisa Fulton, copyright

"F-15 Eagle" by Lisa Fulton, copyright

"Palomar Observatory" by Lisa Fulton, copyright
"LA - the 110 the 105 Freeways" by Lisa Fulton, copyright

Featured Artist: Lisa Fulton

As an artist, I am a beginner learning about visual balance. Some of my paintings look abstract; but while I admire abstract paintings, my work is representational. I enjoy translating the things I see in the physical world, putting them down on the restricted, flat space of a canvas. It's a challenge to produce anything that is as pleasing as the original experience of seeing the world.

I use acrylics and look forward to trying other types of paint. I have been painting for less than two years, but I spent years thinking about what I want to paint. Now, thanks to God, I have the space and time to begin experimenting. Subjects that are compelling to me not only have nice lines, they are icons commonly used or commonly recognized in American culture. I like to create interesting contrasts between linear, industrial-type subject matter and soft, flowing media (paints, fabric).

Lisa Fulton


Side note, we asked Lisa what her favorite Bible verse was and why. This is her response:

I love the way the Bible repeats themes many times, throughout many books. Trying to narrow down to favorites is tough. But the themes I love the most are exemplified by the following verses:

Regarding the confusion of the world: Job 28:28...."and to man He said, "Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom...' "

Regarding the meaning of it all: Ephesians 1:17..."in Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace."

1 comment:

  1. I love this beautiful and unique technique, especially the depiction of freeways.

    ReplyDelete