Monday, February 9, 2009

Featured Artist: Judy Bobula

"Adobe Buildings" by Judy Bobula, copyright

"Picket Fences" by Judy Bobula, copyright

"Bottles" by Judy Bobula, copyright

Judy Bobula in her art studio

ARTIST STATEMENT- Judy Bobula

Art is a part of me-like eating or sleeping. When I create in my studio, time stands still.

When I began painting, I portrayed the world realistically, but in the past ten years my style has evolved into a more impressionistic and interpretive expression.

Currently I work in mixed media collage. I start with an idea, although, often I don’t know where I am going with it, or how it will turn out. I continually scrape, sand, and repaint. Sometimes I abandon the original idea altogether and go with something new. I enjoy experimenting with new materials and techniques and often add organic materials for interest. While I strive for good composition and unity, dynamic color and texture are signatures of my work. Much of my inspiration comes from love of nature and travel. Birch bark from Maine, stones from Arizona, and shells from Florida often wind up in my art. Any excursion can be a source of creativity for me.

I was raised in Wisconsin and moved to the South as a young adult. I have studied art at Wesleyan College in Macon, Georgia and at Kennesaw College in Marietta, Georgia. Since moving to Alabama, I have continued studies at Calhoun College and at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.

My paintings have received awards in major competitions across the region. One of my paintings recently received first place in painting at the Alabama Community College System Chancellor’s Awards Exhibition. My works are in both private and corporate collections throughout the United States, including that of Marilyn Quayle, wife of the former Vice President, and have been featured in regional newspapers and magazines.

For more info about Judy please visit her website at: www.judybobula.com

No comments:

Post a Comment