Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Featured Artist: Michael Williams


"The New Wine", Assemblage constructed with wine corks and wine, by Michael Williams, copyright
(click image to look real close)
I create images out of objects that narrate a theme or meaning.

This piece was inspired by the verse in Matthew 9:16-17. Which describes how Jesus is the new wine and a bunch of stuff... but to be totally honest, I like to see it as Jesus is the life of the party.


"Lots" Assemblage constructed with Dice by Michael Williams, copyright
(click image to look real close)
I create images out of objects that narrate a theme or meaning.

In the Old Testament the priests had to cast lots in order to get into the Holy of Holies. If your number was chosen you could go into God’s presence. The dice represent the lots and because Jesus died for our sins we are all able to go into his presence.



"Renewal" Drawing by Michael Williams, copyright


"Street Art" by Michael Williams, copyright

"Street Art" by Michael Williams, copyright

These pieces are a part of my free art project. I create these in my studio and then go out into the streets and drop them off where I feel led. If someone is moved or inspired by these they can keep them. I place Scripture on the back for inspiration.

Artist Statement: Michael Williams

My art focuses on the conveying of a theme through portraiture by creating the portraits out of materials that hint towards the meaning. Most of the themes and metaphors seen in my artwork are about the relationship between God and man. I portray people’s faces because it is an insight into their lives. I try to not only convey the feelings of the face but also to enhance that further by putting a theme behind the piece in which the viewer can meditate on.

Some of the pieces I create are made for a gallery and some for the street in which the placement is necessary to add to the thematic meaning of the piece. Making something that has its own natural lifespan is very interesting to me. For instance, when I paint a picture of a homeless person or orphan of the street. I paint it on cardboard not only because so many times that is what the homeless use as shelter but just like the actual homeless the paintings of the homeless are exposed to the city. Because the paintings are of people on the street I also put them on the street where they are exposed to that which can destroy them. So when the pictures are left up… if no one takes them if there is nothing done then they will cease to exist. They will be destroyed and blown away in the wind or other forces that will rip them down and throw them away. However, when people take home the pieces from the street. It is symbolic of how Christ saved us. Without Him we would still be on the street. We would still be exposed to the wind, rain, and people that would tear it down. So, the meaning of the pieces on the street is not found in the pieces themselves. Rather, what the pieces are exposed to and see. What they experience and where they will end up, on the streets or in the hands of someone who has taken them home and put them up on there wall, as a prize and as a wanted piece of there home.

To see more of Michael Williams artwork, please visit his website at: www.MichaelAaronArt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment