Friday, July 1, 2011

Featured Artist: Rickie Higgins

"Field of Tulips" by Rickie Higgins, copyright

"A Little Bird Told Me" by Rickie Higgins, copyright

"Harlequins on Blue" by Rickie Higgins, copyright

"Blue Chair" by Rickie Higgins, copyright
"Sunflower" by Rickie Higgins, copyright

Featured Artist Rickie Higgins

In the past couple of years, I have expanded my portfolio to include mixed media and continue to experiment with different processes as well as painting with oils to create large, colorful pieces of work. Creativity, imagination and passion are present in my expansive portfolio.

The beauty of vertical spaces with hints of unexpected color is the driving force behind my mixed media works of art. I lay down layers of paint on tarpaper and then cuts back into the surface forming unexpected organic lines. Then I apply wax and rub it with an oil based glaze to create texture.

Whether is it the music that plays while I paint, the subject matter, or just the blessing of being able to enjoy the process of creating, I find that I am becoming more connected to my spirit through this artistic journey.

It’s exciting to watch the pieces come together as I am guided to new opportunities through both imagery and medium, to create spaces that are skewed vertically, yet visually believable. Whether a lone chair, a field of flowers, or an abstract face, vertical lines find their place in the composition. Through my artistic talents and imagination, I am able to fully express myself on the canvas.

I paint in my home studio in Decatur, Alabama.

One of my favorite Bible verses is: John 10:10 King James Version (KJV)
10The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

As I struggle with the ups and downs of this hectic life, I easily become distracted and forget to appreciate the grace and goodness of God. As I paint in my studio I find myself enjoying the abundant life, enjoying the gift of making art. Whether a painting, or a song, or a new recipe, our lives are blessed because we are made to be creative! Be encouraged to create and enjoy the abundant life the God has for you!

Rickie Higgins, http://www.higginsart.com/
 
------------------------------------------------------

Received a BFA from Auburn, AL in 1991

“Observations and Encouragements” Solo exhibit at Carnegie Visual Arts Center 2010

Featured artist at the Holiday Show at Willis Gray Gallery

People’s Choice Award AL Chicken and Egg Festival 2011

Panoply poster artist for 2011 and 2012 Huntsville, Alabama

Best of show Double Decker juried show 2010 Oxford, Mississippi

Honorable Mention Embracing Art 2010 (Carnegie)

Honorable Mention Embracing Art 2011 (Carnegie)

No comments:

Post a Comment