Friday, October 23, 2009

Featured Artist: Amy Crews

"Refuge" Psalm 16:1, by Amy Crews, copyright

"Mary Elizabeth's Pears" by Amy Crews, copyright

"Sepia Bloom" by Amy Crews, copyright

Amy Crews - Artist Statement

(adapted from an interview)


My passion for art? I can’t explain it. There is this need to create whenever possible. I think anyone who has a God given gift be it art, music, writing or some such, can relate. It is therapeutic and, when I am working on something, I find it so engrosses me that it can be hard to “snap out of it” when I stop. I always look forward to long periods of time when I can get to the studio and work.

My inspiration comes in several forms. My family inspires me by supporting me and bringing me so much joy. I have what I call my “inspiration board” in my studio where I put encouraging notes from friends and patrons. I am drawn to architecture, but God’s creation inspires me most of all. Really, it’s mind boggling how awesome nature is. How the birds just know how to build a nest and how each nest is uniquely different. I know that God is not in the flowers I paint, but they are a great reflection of His majesty. That excites me! I am one of those people who see beauty in every little thing.

We asked Amy what her favorite bible verse was and she responded:

My favorite scripture? Hard to decide as it often changes due to circumstances. But today it would be one that is also a prayer for us as artists: “Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.” Psalm 25:4-5


To view more of Amy Crews artwork please visit her website at: www.AmyCrewsGallery.com

2 comments:

  1. gorgeous work, fabulous! How long does each piece take?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Angela! Some work seems to "flow" and comes together rather quickly (one or two painting sessions), others take several days or even months. When it takes too long, it's easy to over-work it and then it can lose it's impact (for lack of a better word).

    ReplyDelete