Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cutting & Pruning: 8) Eternal Significance

This past week I began to write down all those priorities, affections and labors in my life and quickly became overwhelmed. I began by writing down the obvious, that I’m called to be a husband and a father as well as a son and son-in-law. Followed by church work, activities and committees. Then there is work that puts food on the table, Ascribing Artists, other community organizations and finally personal goals. Eight major categories that make up were I find myself in life right now. They are probably not much different from the ones you have in your life.

Next, I began to list the activities under each of those categories that occupy my time. Some of them overlapped, but many did not. Some were obvious like committees I’m on and some were not so obvious like time spent watching TV. The exercise was to truthfully discovery what it is that I spend my time doing. Honestly, after I wrote them all down I got up and walked away. How do we determine what God would have us cut and prune especially between things that are seemingly “good”? Back to God’s word . . .

Just a little farther in John chapter 15 in verse 16 Jesus says, “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give you.” What? Our fruit should abide! Well, that brings us full circle doesn’t it. Jesus is telling us that the fruit of our lives should:

Reflect us dwelling in the presence of the LORD through His Word, prayer and worship

Reflect us accepting or acting in accordance with the commandments and will of the LORD

Reflect us knowing the Spirit of the LORD will never fade and we will never be lost again

Bottom line, our fruit as Christians should have eternal significance.

Back to the list . . .

Paul LaBathe

No comments:

Post a Comment