Thursday, April 1, 2010

Featured Artist: Lynn H. Weatherford


"Red Ruby" by Lynn Weatherford, oil on canvas, copyright

The painting is of beautiful Red Ruby Grapefruits displayed on a blue and white gingham table cloth.

"Ruben" by Lynn Weatherford, oil on canvas, copyright

This older gentlemen has wisdom in the stories he shares. His journey of life has not always been easy. The african american man has character and charm. He is a man you can call friend. He is a man you can trust. He is a man that is gentle, patient and kind. The vibrant color magnifies his character and wisdom.

"Savannah Celebration" by Lynn Weatherford, oil on canvas, copyright

This is a country low boil our family uses to celebrate special occasions in Savannah. This perticular country low boil was to celebrate my nephews high school graduation. This painting recently sold at an artshow but another one can be painted.

Personal Artist Statement of Lynn H. Weatherford

Standing there, with the long blonde “dog ears” that earned the nickname of “Buffy” (70‘s T.V., Family Affair) from my grandmother. I knew today was the day I had waited four long years to arrive.

At five , the desire to form shapes and apply color was already deep within. My older sister brought home instructions to enter the school’s poster contest. Much to my disappointment one had to be in fourth grade to enter. ( I could get on my soap box here. But I digress.)

I processed ideas over and over again. I knew exactly what that future poster would be. Now all I had to do was wait four years. Four long years…..and then finally it was time to create my masterpiece.

I can’t take credit for this “stirring” that usually results in the form of my paintings. I’m not always sure if it is a gift or a curse. But I do know it was something that was born the same day I emerged from my mother’s womb….possibly earlier. (The smell of a new box of Crayola can still cause the creative juices to stir.)

My poster won first place in the fourth grade and first place in all the fourth and fifth grades. My first validation….! WOW! (My patience paid off in childhood and I hope that same patience will pay off in adulthood.)

Denial was not even an option. (Been there, done that.) Denial just resulted in misery. So I have concluded, that my paintings are here and present, desirable or not. My paintings are here and present, whether they deck the halls of strangers or entertain each other along with the dust bunnies under my bed.

My paintings reflect daily life in its chaotic setting. I capture memories of everyday life. Sometimes life is beautiful, sweet and kind; sometimes life is even ugly.

My style is a marriage of impressionism and realism with the added flavor of emotion. The impasto paint is usually laid with a palette knife or with a thick brush stroke. Color is brings drama and vibrancy to all my paintings. Color sometimes takes over my brush.

Van Gogh has long been an artistic mentor. Some of my beloved furry companions have even earned the right to carry his name.

My goal is to never stop learning…never get too comfortable…never abandon curiosity. I choose to absorb every bit of information I possibly can add to flavor life. I want to be the best I can be perhaps to honor the “gift”. I want my art to mean something more than just paint on a canvas.

Emotion is often the driving force behind my paintings. Even if it lies dormant to explode later.
Because of the intensity of emotion unveiling my art can leave me feeling very vulnerable. Even the exposure of a simple sketch causes acute vulnerability and can escalate to fear. Fear of not being good enough. Fear of being judged and not being understood. Fear of being stagnate and becoming too comfortable. Fear that I stay there only because I’m scared of failure.

As the journey continues, now is the time I must face the proverbial “giants’ and paint… just to paint! Love every minute of every stroke and just paint!

Lynn

artworkbylynnweatherford.blogspot.com

artbylynn.etsy.com

picasso@pclnet.net

256-232-9925

Lynn was asked to provide a verse and why it was meaningful to her to include in her artist statement and these two came to her mind:

Psalms 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

The Ascribing Artists Blog will post a follow up in which Lynn has created a statement painting that beholds these two verses. Stay on the look out for this very moving post entitled: Steal Birth

3 comments:

  1. This person is so great. She had pushed me as a young artist in every way that you could be pushed she painted all the colors in my future and she still continues to paint hers... She is a wonderful mother, care taker and friend. God bless in all her happyness. She puts art in everything she dose. This artist soul is in all her work.
    Love your student always,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn, I love your colors and can tell you put your heart and soul into your paintings.

    Good job, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn was an interesting child. She did not watch all that much TV, just wanted to paint. Her Mom

    ReplyDelete