Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Cutting & Pruning: 1) Being Fruitful

I'm excited about the new year. This year the Lord has pressed upon me instead of adding goals and resolutions, to make it a year of cutting those things in my life that are not fruitful. I have come to realize if I focus more on cutting and pruning, then I will have a much better chance of reaching those goals and resolutions that seem to be the same every year.

Jesus stated, "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, so that it will be more fruitful." John 15: 1,2

Wow, did you notice the "in me"? Of course that applies to a specific group in Christ and it goes on to say in Verse 5 "I am the vine; YOU are the branches." Jesus does not say, God "cuts off every branch in those around me" even though He will or "cuts off every branch in my church" even though He will. His focus is on you personally dear precious ones!

Now the fruit primarily discussed in this section of scripture has to do with love and refers more to the fruit of living a Christ-like life produced by the Holy Spirit as discussed in Galatians 5:22,23, but it also refers to obedience. We know God is Sovereign and able to accomplish His will in us, but He also gives us responsibility in the knowledge He reveals. We can't just sit and wait on God to accomplish those things in us once He has shown us what actions to take. So, maybe this week spend some time before the Lord in prayer and in His Word and see what He reveals to you that needs cutting or pruning, then move into 2010 knowing He is able to accomplish those goals and resolutions in you.

Abiding,
Paul LaBathe

No comments:

Post a Comment